Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Men's Ministry in a Student Ministry Part I

  • "Being a male is a matter of birth, being a Man is a matter of Choice."

    In youth ministry, I have rarely seen seen a focus on men's development in youth groups. I have seen churches focus on men's ministry, but very rarely in the teenage years. When I first became a Youth Pastor, I searched for information that would help me target the young men to bring them from being boys to thriving as men. The information was not there to be found. In the youth ministry I am part of, we typically have more young men than young women attend. The reason for this is the environment that is created with what I call Trailer Club. Trailer Club is a men's specific teaching that hits the young men square in their face about 3 issues:
    1. Becoming the best Son's
    2. Becoming the best Husband's
    3. Becoming the best Father's

    It is everyone man's dream to become at least one of the those three concepts above it not all of them. Here are some things I would ask you to consider when it comes to leading your family or your youth ministry:

  • Do you have a plan in place so the young men in your care are being challenged to make choices that will help them become better men?
  • Have you created an atmosphere in your own life that provides challenges in your own life?
  • What do you think of the quote, "For boys to become men, they have to see men."
  • What would a men's focus in your youth ministry look like with the area you live in and the young men that attend?
  • Do you have to have a Wii to draw young guys to your youth ministry, or is love for God enough?
Here are some thoughts...I will continue to share thoughts almost every week on this topic.

No comments: